WELCOME!

Near a natural waterfall, halfway between Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC sits a little yellow house , that in the spirit of Vincent Van Gogh's "Studio of the South" dream, serves as home and studio to Artists, where art is created, stories are told, gardens are grown , dogs sleep, berries are picked, soup is made, coffee is sipped, dreams are dreamt, and everyone is welcome.



Saturday, December 19, 2009

SHINE



This piece took more than a year to complete. Moving from one stage to the next is rarely a fun process for me… Challenging myself to break through my self-imposed barriers; forcing me not to be paralyzed by the ostentatious idea of legitimate fine art, the myths of success and failure, talent and skill and just plain not being good enough. It’s about finally throwing off my shackles and reclaiming what I so often forget: our essential right and innate ability to create without interference or shame.
I have always loved the song "Shine" by Collective Soul. I also love Dolly Parton and she sings an amazing bluegrass (my favorite music) version. I was inspired by the words of the song and her voice when I began this work.

The lyrics:

Give me a word


Give me a sign

Show me where to look

Tell me what will I find

Lay me on the ground

Fly me in the sky

Show me where to look

Tell me what will I find

Oh, heaven let your light shine down



Love is in the water

Love is in the air

Show me where to look

Tell me will love be there

Teach me how to speak

Teach me how to share

Teach me where to go

Tell me will love be there

Oh, heaven let your light shine down


This painting is comprised of acrylic mediums and metallic surfacers. Even though Metallic Surfacers look and apply just like acrylic paint, they are very different in that they contain real metal not pigment or the mica flakes commonly used in other “metallic paints”. Rather, they are an ingenious blend of finely ground metal flakes (copper, bronze, iron, steel, aluminum) in an acrylic binder that creates the look and durability of a true metal surface. Once a surface is coated with an Iron Metallic Surfacer for example, a magnet will stick to the “painted” surface.


Artist: Deb Massa

No comments:

Post a Comment